28 Jan How Do I Prevent Weeds In My Lawn?
Weeds in your lawn or property are unsightly. Many people automatically think of fertilizer and weed control and that’s correct! But there are many other ways to stop those pesky weeds from sprouting in your lawn. In this article, we’ll provide 4 tips to help you solve your weed problems.
1. Cut your grass to the correct length.
- Cutting grass to an ideal length works in multiple ways. The grass is long enough to shade the ground and prevent weeds from germinating. It also keeps the ground cooler so weeds do not have the ideal conditions to grow.
- Cutting your grass also cuts off weed seed heads to prevent the spread of weeds in your lawn. When combined with the other options below, these strategies can dramatically decrease and even eliminate your weed problems.
- Check out the handy chart below for lawn cut length suggestions.
|Cool Climate||Warm Climate|
|Bent grass||1/4 to 3/4 in.||Bahia grass||2 to 3 in.|
|Chewing hard or red fescue||1-1/2 to 2-1/2 in.||Bermuda grass||1/2 to 1 in.|
|Tall fescue||1-1/2 to 3 in.||Blue grama grass||2 to 3 in.|
|Kentucky bluegrass||1-1/2 to 3 in.||Buffalo grass||2 to 3 in.|
|Perennial ryegrass||1-1/2 to 3 in.||Carpetgrass||1 to 2 in.|
|Centipedegrass||1 to 2 in.|
|St. Augustinegrass||1 to 3 in.|
|Zoysia grass||1/2 to 1 in.|
*Information from familyhandyman.com
2. Pre-Emergent Chemicals
- These chemicals work to kill weeds before they start to spring up in your lawn. However, it’s not that easy. You have to be really careful to apply them at the correct time.
- There are other treatments like small pressurized containers of weed killer when there are just a few small weeds in your lawn. You can also use a small tank sprayer (1-2 gallons) that can be used for a longer period if the weed situation is more dire. These small tank sprayers also useful on larger patches of weeds if you want to do the weed control on your own.
- KG Landscape employs licensed weed sprayers in our Fertilization packages. As part of our Fertilization package, a customer gets 3-5 different weed control applications throughout the growing season. Our company also pulls and sprays weeds from landscape beds after they have emerged.
3. Water your lawn less frequently but more deeply.
- When you water your lawn for small amounts on a regular basis, grass roots can tend to grow shallow. This action leads to grass leaving more ground room for weeds to live. This kind of watering also promotes weed growth by giving the quick growing weeds the necessary water to grow faster and spread quicker. Letting your grass dry out just a little bit pushes your grass to dig deeper in the ground and push those weeds out. Check out our 5 Minnesota Irrigation Myths Busted to learn more about irrigation.
- You can install a smart irrigation system to help control the water output. Smart irrigation systems are awesome because they use weather data from the internet to change your watering patterns daily. They also help save you money!
- Check out this handy chart! The University of California – Davis did a fantastic job creating a chart that describes the cause of each kind of common lawn weed as well as a solution. When you learn more about the weeds that are in your lawn, and the things that cause those weeds, it is infinitely easier to fix the problem.
If would like one of our professional fertilization and weed control consultants to give you a visit, please fill out a form on our “contact us” section!